To clean house or not to clean house; that is the question. What should you do with the worst major league team in baseball?
My two cents: Clean House:
1. Fire Tal Smith and replace him with a young, energetic, baseball minded person, who not only could do the job, but do it with vigor - This would be the only way to get your hands on Andrew Friedman from the Rays
2. At one point I was an Ed Wade backer, but after thinking about what the Astros have done in his tenure: stock the farm, I have realized that Wade is not the one whio should be given a pat ont he back for bringing in young talent in the system. Fire Ed Wade and hire Bobby Heck or Jim Bowden as GM. You do need to make sure that Bobby Heck will have either the same job he has now or the GM job.
3. Yes, I know that the GM would want to hire their own on field management group, but ... In my opinion, bring Garner or Dierker back to the dugout to manage. The greatest success came when one of these two baseball minds were calling the shots on the field.
4. Coaches: Pitching - Karl Kuhn (with a young pitching staff, who better than a college coach who had the best rotation in college baseball at Virginia), Hitting - If Jeff Bagwell really does not want to try it again, then offer the job to Garry Templeton, who is managing in the independent leagues right now, 1st base - who better than Tim Raines who is also managing right now in the independent league, Bench - Brad Ausmus: no matter what the cost, bring back a great baseball mind and leader, Bullpen - Doug Brocail, 3rd base - Jaime Quirk - move Quirk from the bullpen and utilize him the correct way.
5. Players: This team needs to complete the youth movement and so some players need to be moves ASAP.
Of course, more move need to be made, but this would be a start
6. Continue building the system - this is how you will win in the long run and as long as the fans realize and know the plan all will be well.